We are delighted to announce that Elewana Sand River Masai Mara is our sixth property in Kenya to receive the prestigious Gold status and Elewana Kifaru House was evaluated and attained Bronze on its first application.Ecotourism Kenya promotes responsible tourism practices within the tourism industry and encourages the adoption of best practices in the use of tourism resources, working with local communities and managing wastes and emissions.
Ecotourism Kenya, defines Ecotourism as;
‘the involvement of tourists in environmental conservation activities directly linked to addressing human development needs, and promotes equitable sharing of benefits accrued from tourism with local communities while supporting their nature conservation values’.
Their vision is to bring together conservation, communities and tourism in a responsible manner and the principles governing ecotourism include;
- Encourage travel to natural areas
- Minimize impact of tourism activities on natural attractions
- Recognize and build awareness about local conservation values and their importance to society
- Provide direct benefits and empowerment for local people at destinations without retrogression on environmental, cultural or local living standards.
- Respect local people, their customs and culture
- Support sustainable development of local economies through direct involvement and participatory decision-making
Congratulations to the staff and management of both Elewana properties for this achievement.